LAS VEGAS – College basketball returns to T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas when the fifth annual MGM Resorts Main Event tips off on November 19 & 21. The tournament’s Heavyweight Bracket will tip Monday, Nov. 19 with St. Mary’s vs. Utah State at 5:30 p.m. PT followed by Arizona State vs. Mississippi State at 8 p.m. The consolation and championship games will be played Wednesday, Nov. 21 at 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. PT, respectively.
“We have three teams in our top bracket that should be Top 25 teams this season, and many already have Mississippi State pegged inside the top 20 in their preseason polls,” said Brooks Downing, President and CEO of bd Global. “St. Mary’s is everyone’s Cinderella team and what Bobby Hurley has done to turn around the ASU program has been remarkable. Should be an exciting holiday week in Vegas!”
Arizona State finished 20-12 last season and earned a berth in the NCAA Tournament. The Sun Devils will be led by sophomore Romello White and Top 50 recruit Taeshon Cherry. Coach Ben Howland’s Mississippi State squad will be bolstered by two Top 50 recruits of its own in Reggie Perry and Robert Woodard II and will return all five starters from a 25-12 team last season including leading scorer and All-SEC standout Quinndary Weatherspoon.
Saint Mary’s has won 29+ games in each of the past three seasons and finished the regular season ranked among the nation’s Top 25 teams. Coach Craig Smith takes over the helm at Utah State after leading South Dakota to consecutive postseason appearances in his final two seasons. The Aggies will be led by Sam Merrill, last season’s leading scorer at 16.3 points, and Dwayne Brown, Jr.
Tickets will go on-sale on Friday, Aug. 10 at 10 a.m. PT at AXS.com or by calling 888-9AXSTIX. Ticket information and hotel room information for the MGM Resorts Main Event can also be found at www.mgmresortsmainevent.com.
MGM Resorts Main Event Schedule
Monday, Nov. 19
- Mary’s vs. Utah State – 5:30 p.m. PT (ESPN Networks)
- Arizona State vs. Mississippi State – 8 p.m. PT (ESPNU)
Wednesday, Nov. 21
- Consolation Game – 5:30 p.m. PT
- Championship Game – 8 p.m. PT (ESPNU)
- Features Hartford, Long Beach State and Utah Valley on November 19 & 21 in Las Vegas
- Schedule to be announced
- McNeese State @ St. Mary’s (Nov. 7)
- McNeese State @ Arizona State (Nov. 9)
- Hartford @ Utah State (Nov. 9)
- Hartford @ Mississippi State (Nov. 11)
- Utah Valley at St. Mary’s (Nov. 11)
- Long Beach State @ Arizona State (Nov. 12)
- Long Beach State @ Mississippi State (Nov. 16)
- Hartford @ Utah State (Nov. 16)
- Loyola University New Orleans @ McNeese State (Nov. 16)
- University of Mobile @ McNeese State (Nov. 20)
(Campus games subject to change)